Temple Bar, Dublin
Recognised as 'Dublin's cultural quarter' with a lively nightlife that is popular with tourists, Temple Bar is an area on the south bank of the River Liffey in central Dublin.
The earliest historical reference to 'Temple Bar' is on a 1673 map and one theory is that it got its name from the Temple family, who lived in the area in the 17th century. Sir William Temple, provost of Trinity College Dublin in 1609, had his house and gardens here. Alternatively, it may have been named in imitation of the Temple Bar in London.
Temple Bar has preserved its medieval street pattern, with many narrow cobbled streets, and most of the nightclubs, restaurants and bars are very tourist-orientated. Famous pubs include well-known names such as The Porterhouse, the Temple Bar, the Oliver St John Gogarty, the Quays Bar, the Turk's Head, Czech Inn, the Purty Kitchen, Eamonn Doran's and the Foggy Dew.
Temple Bar is the location of many Irish cultural institutions, including the Irish Film Institute, the Temple Bar Music Centre, the Irish Photography Centre, the Ark Children's Cultural Centre, Temple Bar Gallery and Studio, the Gaiety School of Acting, as well as the Irish Stock Exchange and the Central Bank of Ireland.
Fishamble Street in Temple Bar was the location of the first performance of Handel's Messiah on 13 April 1742. An annual performance of the Messiah is held on the same date at the same location.
Check out Ireland Roots for researching your Irish Family History.